Degree Decoder

Licensed Psychotherapist (LCSW, LPC, LMFT, LCDC)

LCSWs, LMHCs, LMFTs, LCATs and LPs have a master's degree, which requires 2-3 years of graduate school. Providers with any of these degrees can provide psychotherapy services. LMFT programs emphasize healthy functioning of family and romantic relationships, while LMHCs and LCSWs are more general in their clinical focus. LCATs can provide general psychotherapy, in addition to therapy that incorporates the arts, such as drama or painting. LPs provide psychotherapy with an emphasis on how unconscious thoughts impact thoughts and behavior.

LPC Associate

Licensed Professional Counselor Interns are licensed by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors to provide clinical health services under the supervision of a Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor. The Licensed Professional Counselor Interns are under the supervision of another LPC supervisor. The intern has completed their master’s level education, and are highly skilled and well trained to provide a variety of services. Licensed Professional Counselor Interns in the state of Texas are unable to accept insurance for payment but are able to work for reduced rates.

Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (NP)

Nurse Practitioners in Psychiatry (NPs) complete 4 years of Nursing School followed by 3 years of specialized training in Mental Health at the Masters (MSN) or Doctoral level (DNP). Nurse Practitioners can prescribe medications. Some nurse practitioners also provide psychotherapy services.

Psychiatrists (MD)

Psychiatrists complete 4 years of medical school followed by residency (and sometimes fellowship training). Psychiatrists can prescribe medications. Some psychiatrists also provide pyschotherapy services.

Psychologists (PhD, PsyD)

Psychologists have a doctorate (PhD or PysD) in pyschology, which usually takes 4-7 years of graduate school. In addition to clinical training, PhD programs emphasize research during graduate school, while PsyD programs focus more on specialized clinical training. Psychologists can conduct psychological tests and provide psychotherapy services.

Registered Dietitians (RD)

Registered Dietitians are licensed professionals who have completed either a bachelors degree or masters degree in dietetics-nutrition as well as practical training in the field.

Social Workers (LMSW)

Licensed Master Social Workers have a master's degree in social work, which usually takes 2-3 years of graduate school. LMSWs apply social work theory and principles through interventions with clients. LMSWs can provide psychotherapy only under the supervision of a psychologist or LCSW and will review your diagnosis and treatment plan with the supervising provider.